Friday 11 May 2012

ANightAtTheCottonClub

I've decided I was definitely born in the wrong era. Forget being a 90's kid, I want to be a 1920's flapper girl.

I made this decision following a night at the theatre with the madre last week (check me out, two theatre trips in the space of a few weeks! anyone would think I was a grown up or something...)
We went to see 'A Night At The Cotton Club' over the water as a birthday surprise and, despite being the youngest person in the audience by at least 20 years, I actually enjoyed it!

If you're not mildly into Jazz or the 'crooners' of that era, or at least appreciate dancing like the Lindy Hop and Charleston I'd steer well clear. BUT if like me you have a secret soft spot for Billie Holiday and love tap dancing then WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I've since been searching for a local Lindy hop/jive dance class. Now I just need a partner to throw me around, any takers?

Why did we, as a human population/society/community etc., stop dancing like they did in the jazz bars and speakeasy's of the 20s and 30s?
When did it become socially acceptable to ask a girl to dance by standing too close behind her and grinding on her? All the technological, medical and social advances aside we as a people have lost all class when it comes to, for many males, the uncharted territory of the dance floor.

So boys, take note! Don't be afraid to dance or at least attempt to; God loves a trier! And ask a girl first before you decide to force yourself, and usually half the contents of your glass, upon her.

In other news I have taken to wearing a flower in my hair ala BH (see above)...



And, just when I thought I couldn't love her anymore, she goes and does this;


Once again, I'm crying because I'm not Beyonce. Do you ever do that?

Peace, love and hobnobs

x

No comments:

Post a Comment